Welcome to Black Draft Distillery, the first grain-to-glass craft distillery in Martinsburg, West Virginia since prohibition.
Black Draft Distillery started as a dream to produce handcrafted spirits from West Virginia, using unique and all-natural ingredients.
Founded in 2014, we joined the growing number of artisans seeking to blend our techniques with the West Virginia traditions of times past. We chose to first produce our First Harvest Moonshine because it reflected our commitment to following the generations of folks producing fine corn whiskey.
Over time, the high quality and explosive popularity of our First Harvest Moonshine inspired us to dream bigger and expand into Bourbon. Water in our area comes from the same type of limestone aquifers that western Kentucky distilling legends use. Naturally, we saw the mineral laden waters Berkeley Springs water as a perfect foundation for producing a great tasting bourbon.
The overwhelming demand to our first Straight Bourbon batches proved we had another outstanding product to share with our friends and locals.
Over the next 3 years, we’ve added 3 more terrific flavors: Rise & Shine Coffee, White Julep Moonshine, and Black Draft Vodka. Each is perfect for mixing or sipping straight over ice.
We produce Black Draft Distillery products for valued customers around the globe and always have time to welcome friends new and old. Ask us about special events or an exclusive tour of our distillery.
Our success at Black Draft comes from a simple formula. Live good, work hard, never skimp on quality, treat your customers right, and always keep faith in the American Dream.
We currently feature the following brands:
- Straight Bourbon
- Black Draft Vodka
- Rise & Shine Coffee Moonshine
- White Julep
- First Harvest Moonshine
- Advice from the Experts – Mountain State entrepreneurs
By Samantha Cart / WV Executive / November 13, 2017
- The Wait is Over…Black Draft Distillery Talks Bourbon
By Crystal Schelle / The Review Herald / October 11, 2017
- Couple expands homegrown distillery with revamped barn
By Katiann Marshall / The Journal / September 7, 2016
- The Black Draft Distillery Unveils its New Expansion
By Nina Kapur / WHAG-TV / June 3, 2016
- Expanding Berkeley County Distillery Opens Tasting Room
By Matt Umstead / Herald Mail / December 9, 2015
- Moonshine is Going From Backwoods to Boutique
By Crystal Schelle / Herald Mail / September 2, 2015
- Cover Story: Around the Panhandle, Jan/Feb 2015 Issue
- Panhandle Live w/Hans Fogle (jump to 49:30) | WEPM | January 19, 2017
- Black Draft gains momentum in regional whiskey market by Charles Bockway | www.brilliantstream.com | October 18, 2016
- Production of distilled spirits spikes in W.Va. in 2015 by Matt Umstead
Herald Mail | December 20, 2015
- Black Draft Distillery Starts Tours, Expansion By Charles Bockway www.brilliantstream.com | October 2, 2015
- Moonshine is Moving Up in the Liquor World | Video
Herald Mail | September 2, 2015
- Black Draft Makes Moonshine | Photo Gallery
Herald Mail | September 2, 2015
- A Taste Of Oak: Adirondack Coopers Bring Flavor To Regional Whiskey
Curiously Adirondack | Mountain Lake PBS | July 16, 2015 (barrel feature)
- Featured Eats, Boyd’s Steakhouse – True To A Theme by Deb Cornwell
Around the Panhandle | Jan/Feb 2015 (Page 90)
- Martinsburg Couple Opens Moonshine Distillery by Samantha Cronk
The Journal | July 28, 2014
- Corn Whiskey Flowing at Distillery in Berkeley County by Matthew Umstead
Herald Mail | July 19, 2014
- West Virginia Barrel Trail
Brilliant Stream blog
- Craft Distillers